Thursday, October 16, 2008

Jack Day 7

Joe thinks he's a photographer now. He takes the funniest close up shots you've ever seen. Most of them get deleted.
Jack really dislikes getting bugged. Especially to get a blood pressure reading or to take his temperature. He just cries and cries.
Jack holding Daddy's finger.

So little baby Jack's platelets are not cooperating. He had to get another transfusion this afternoon and they said he can't go home until his platelets stay at 100,000 for 5-7 consecutive days. They had dropped to 42,000, which is VERY low. When he was born he had 9,000 which is CRITICALLY low. A normal person has about 150,000 to 250,000 platelets. They are doing a lot of blood work and tests on him all the time. When he was born Friday and they had taken him to Primary's, the pediatrician had my blood drawn to run some tests on me and my platelets. They told me today that my blood makes anti-bodies against his platelets and basically has been eating them my whole pregnancy. He also might have a problem in his bone marrow where platelets are made. He's making red and white blood cells, but they are not sure if it's making platelets. He could possibly have Hemophilia. Or some other coagulation problem. It could honestly be about 100 different things so it may take time to pin it down. Until then we'll continue to drive up there everyday, and sometimes twice, until we can take him home.

2 comments:

The Gardners said...

We are thinking of you and praying for your little Jack and your family! You are amazing for being so upbeat and sweet...I would be losing it right now, so you are setting a really good example for this crazy hormonal pregnant lady! Thanks for giving updates everyday...I look forward to them!

MegBass said...

Congratulations on your cute little boy, Andrea told me he was at primary's. I hope everything turns out well, I'm sure it will being at the best hospital. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. Megan Young (Justin Keck's sister)